Clara meet 2013 iba zambales volleyball pictures

Baptist Churches in the Philippines: Initial directory of churches

North of Iba .. The island took a gut-punch with the earthquake, which toppled many of its .. Zambales Coast Uninhabited islands abound off this lonely stretch of (MAP GOOGLE MAP ; Santa Clara St; adult/student P75/50; h8am-6pm) .. Manila's premier modern art museum, the 'Met' is a world-class gallery. Malabon International Baptist Church, 6 Maria Clara St., Acacia Malabon, ; Rev. Senior Pastor: Bishop Manny Orara (deceased April ); Rev. . Payatas Baptist Healthcare- President; Photo pages; Our Vision .. San Agustin, Iba, Zambales, Philippines; cell phone ;. PHOTO: Map of the pre-colonial polities and settlements in Manila rendered by .. Research in the Laguna de Bay area, Philippines,” Hukay 18 (): .. By the close of December 8, the Japanese army had bombed airfields in Zambales, .. agreed to meet with other Katipunan representatives of the two factions.

Pati sa misa mayroon recitation! Aside from classroom studies, we had the usual school activities like recitals, declamations, field demonstrations, stage plays, sports activities, excursions not very often plus performing our church obligations as altar boys and choir members. Compared to when we were younger, we played with marbles, rubber bands, texts with superhero cardscashew, and sumpit when we were younger. Other extra-school activities then were swimming with classmates at beaches in Iba and at the Bucao River, and attending fiestas at nearby barrios and towns.

Looking back, despite a rather carefree life during those years, we still did well in the academics, and recognitions were received at every school year end — the best memories I had at SAS, for these were our gifts for our parents.

Celebrating our golden year,we had a reunion in Iba in April last year at the very place where many of us first met 50 years ago, at the building once occupied by the Knights of Columbus Hall. What could be more fitting than that!

The growingup pains, adventurism and frustrations of adolescence bring unique experiences that inspire and sometimes disappoint. But when one is able to overcome these seemingly endless frustrations with the right values learned and Christian virtues lived, a strong character is formed.

This, in my view, was exactly how we were taught and Nothing much changed from elementary graduation to my first months of high school. I was the same tiny girl in braided hair who used to jump over the fence behind the school to avoid the few meters of walk around the block from our house in Sagapan. I had the same set of classmates. This time we were no longer treated like children but as young adults. Sister Mary Gertrude was the first high school principal and concurrently the Sister Superior.

I remember her as the soft-spoken nun who had incredible patience with restless teenagers. Sister Mary Agnes Pauig, the disciplinarian but loving principal with a powerful and beautiful singing voice succeeded Sister Gertrude. She saw us through high school and understandably she was the teacher who influenced us the most.

Her close guarding especially over the young ladies paid off and she made sure everyone kept up with the rules of the school. Except for a few remarkable inci dents, my memories of high school are not that vivid.

The Doctor and Clara on Abbey Road - Doctor Who: Series 9 (2015) - BBC One

But that is not at all surprising because those years happened 46 years ago. Academics and school-related extra-curricular activities exclusively occupied my high school years and not much of gallivanting. Helen Theater, the only cinema and entertainment center operating in Iba during those days was the only place where we could unwind and deviate from the routinely home-school-church-home schedule. No truancy at all, not because we were little saints but because we were happy and contented with what were available in our little world.

Early this year, I visited her at the St. Paul Vigil House in Tanay. Although already advanced in age, she is still the charming Sister Agnes that I used to know. It was really touching that she Being pre Vatican II babies, we were trained to sing the Gregorian chants, the psalms, the church songs and to say the liturgical responses in Latin. It seemed easy and natural for us because our parents and grandparents prayed in the same manner.

In whispers, we were curious about how the nuns live but we never uncovered much of the mystery; and to this day I still wonder if the nuns then used mirrors when combing their hair. I also remember my first taste of teaching when I was assigned as a catechist at the Palanginan Elementary School, a prelude to my future career. Highlights of our junior and senior years were the declamation contests, the stage plays and the glee club performances.

All of these required a lot of patience and endurance for long hours of coaching and practice, just so we can deliver our parts well or learn and master new songs. SAS then, was well known in the entire province of Zambales for students who excel in these areas. And those in the honor roll easily qualified entrance to prestigious schools for college. Some were career-driven while some preferred to live simple and peaceful lives but nonetheless happy and fulfilled. My high school years are memorable because of the friendships I have developed with classmates and school mates.

Every time we get together, we are reminded of how we were in high school. We always enjoy recalling those days of childhood innocence. They are precious, unforgettable, and irreplaceable memories. We may not have laptops, iPads and iPhones then, but we communicated well. We listened and took to heart the advices of our teachers. We learned to take our responsibilities seriously.

This brief narrative will be incomplete without mentioning a few experiences we had in both elementary and high school. In grade school, all pupils were directed to speak the English language while inside the campus. No one was exempt; the rule applied to everyone from kindergarten to the higher grades. There were patrollers who monitored the violators and those caught were made to face every class to admit they broke the rule.

It was more fun than punishment for us. English was not only to be spoken but also to be written in the correct grammar. I would like to end this short trip down memory lane with greetings of goodwill to all members of SAS Class What we have become, we owe significantly from our alma mater and teachers, who in partnership with our parents taught us how to live meaningful lives, not only for ourselves but also for others.

Everytimewegettogether,weare reminded of how we were in high school. We enjoy recalling those days of childhood innocence. We may not have laptops, ipads and iphones then, but we communicated well. Thus he decided to put up the very first Catholic learning institution in the capital town. It was in that our Alma Mater, the St. Columban led by Bishop Henry Byrne. This parochial school was delegated to the St. And this was the reason how it came about that SAS is a St. These Sisters tried their best to give the first pupils quality education that pleased Bishop Byrne and the Columban priests.

The students were trained to speak English within the school campus. The commuting pupils, who were only grade 2 and 3, prayed the rosary in the jeeps on their way to and from school. Every morning the sisters brought the children to church for a visit to the Blessed Sacrament while Bishop Byrne used to be in the cathedral going up and down the middle aisle praying the rosary. The pupils who were formed in lines getting out would be greeted one by one by Bishop Byrne standing at the door way who surprisingly knew everyone by name.

She taught kindergarten, Sr. They were the first SPC sisters who were dressed like flying nuns during that time. They had only one section for each grade level. And that time, teachers who were nuns were able to teach their pupils one on one because of their small number.

They only transferred after construction of the original school building made of wood was finished. Paul Congregation in the Philippines, Sr. Madeleine Denaga who assigned four of her nuns to start managing the St. According to the pioneer graduates, their very first school was the Knights of Columbus building beside the St. Augustine Cathedral where the Diocesan Pastoral Center now stands. The first pupils impressed their teachers very well because they showed intelligence and innate talents.

This was observed by Sr. Mildred who was herself a gold medalist in dramatics during her high school years at the St. Paul College of Quezon City. Mary Mildred was also a musician. She developed the singing talents of the pupils to the surprise and admiration of the Columban fathers. Mildred was transferred, Sr. She was a classmate of Sr. Both plays were staged for high school students. Cristina Pastores in the lead role.

On the other hand, Edgar Yap and Manuel Farrales did well in declamation. The school canteen was just a small table with a few bottles of soft drinks, a box of candies, a two or three boxes of biscuits or sandwiches with margarine, just for some pupils who did not bring their packed snacks for recess prepared by their parents.

Clemencia was in charge of the little canteen and then came Sr. Lydia who took over her. The land was believed to be a former cemetery a long time ago, the reason why the soil was not suited for a vegetable garden because it was full of cement and stones.

So instead, the boys planted papayas since it needed small space only for the seedlings with two yards apart and just two papayas for each boy. Now the mustard seed that has been planted by the SPC nuns especially the pioneer ones, Sr. Mariette together with the late Bishop Byrne, Rev. Malcolm McKeating and Fr.

Thomas Faye has now become a very big tree, sturdy and still going stronger at 50 years of existence. Thomas Faye has now become a very big tree, sturdyandstillgoingstrongerat 50 years of existence. The school had programs from time to time, so the students had to bring the chairs down from the classrooms for the audience. Gardening was a subject in the curriculum for the boys.

It was a problem, though, because the school grounds have no enough space for planting. The Augusteener December 15 www. They grew up in the same neighborhood, walked the same streets, and attended the same school.

They were partners in one of the most memorable plays at St. Ironically, they hardly interacted with each other. Junnie and Juvy were schoolmates who can be considered as one of the most unexpected couples from St. Their families were close, their friends were common but both of them were simply shy and engrossed in their own respective worlds.

Juvy, left for the United States after graduation from SAS high school with flying colors as class valedictorian. It took 8 years before they met again, as if by fate, when Juvy went back to the Philippines to pursue Medicine at UST.

Junnie was home for a break before his Medical Board Exams. Unfortunately, Junnie had a steady girlfriend at that time while Juvy had just broken up with her boyfriend before going back to the Philippines and was not ready for any new relationship. Augustine s School in the s.

Seeing Juvy again after so many years left Junnie love struck and sleepless. Juvy felt the same way. To have a reason to see Juvy, Junnie offered to bring her more reference books to help her in school. It was a chance Juvy could not pass in order to get to know Junnie better. In the days that followed, they exchanged cards and letters.

Junnie patiently waited and picked Juvy up after school at every chance he got. He tried to visit her daily, helped her with research reports and homework even if it entailed him to stay until midnight. The Augusteener December 17 www. The couple grew closer all the more as weeks and months passed by. There were endless phone calls and more exchanges of cards and letters. During vacation breaks, they usually go back and forth to Iba to have picnics as they watched the sun go down at the Sand Valley Beach Resort.

They also visited SAS and the Cathedral, took pictures, walked along the narrow streets of Iba, and enjoyed crates of the famous Zambales mangoes. Everyone in Iba did not expect to even see them together.

They had fun and were simply inseparable. Juvy realized how shy but sweet, humorous, and loving Junnie was. She realized he was not snobbish after all. It was difficult not to fall in love with him considering he was her high school crush, a secret she was able to keep all throughout the years after their stints at SAS. W Junnie s parents were pleased to find out he was courting Juvy. His mother especially favored Juvy and wrote her letters from time to time. It was not the case with Juvy s parents at first.

Junnie was persistent though and tried to "court" them particularly Juvy s strict father. It was Junnie s sincerity and love of music and history especially his World War II stories that helped him win the approval of Juvy s father. With that, Juvy finally accepted Junnie as her new found love.

There was no turning back from then on. Their romance blossomed and the rest was history. Junnie and Juvy left for the U. They got married the same year in Rancho Palos Verdes, California and they now reside in Hercules, California with their year-old daughter, Meg.

As a start, they too, have had their shares of ups and downs just like any other couple. Though, opposite in many ways the two have always managed to compromise at the end of each passing day. As years go by, their love for each other has gone stronger than ever as it has passed the test of time. When their allowances ran out, they stayed at Juvy s place to enjoy each other s jokes with something as simple as Chippy and Coke.

This wonderful couple shall be celebrating their 19th wedding anniversary next year with a fervent desire to visit St. This story is a proof that these two people are really meant for each other which we can call destiny. In cooperation with TREES Philippines, a nongovernment organization NGOthe SAS Alumni Association has joined hands with SAS administration and the combined junior and senior students who did not mind getting drenched and muddied, as they scaled the steep slopes going to the planting sites to plant a total of assorted seedlings of acacia, casuarinas, and other tree species.

This tree planting project was an initiative of the school as it partnered with the said NGO, to bring back the green forests of the province that has been greatly denuded ever since the eruption of Mt.

Norma Que, this community service was great success as it saw every participant carry six to ten seedlings amidst heavy downpour trekking mountain trails to plant them.

TREES Philippines has been partnering with various organizations to restore the forest covers in Zamables especially on denuded lands. This reforestation activity covered only about two hectares while there are many more lands that need to be reforested. Although tree planting seemed to look like an easy task, it actually involves laborious preparations like brushing, holing and staking that incur expenses. Villanueva was born on October 14, to Juan B.

He grew up in Botolan, Zambales and took up his elementary and high school education at the St. As a young boy, he dreamed of becoming a military pilot. Inafter spending a year at the Mapua Intstitute of Technology as an engineering student, he entered the Philippine Military Academy as a cadet. Francis graduated in and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Philippine Air Force. Shortly thereafter, he entered the Philippine Air Force Flying School in Lipa City as an aviation cadet and finished his flight training in Biography of Francisco A.

Uknown After earning his wings, he served with the th Helicopter Wing of the Philippine Air force which brought him to different parts of the country performing close air support, air transport, air evacuation and search and rescue missions for the Armed Forces of the Philippines AFP ground troops. He received several commendations for his heroic actions and meritorious services as a military pilot including one when he was wounded while performing an air evacuation of military casualties in Samar in November The Augusteener December 21 www.

Ian Maniago Class of What makes my high school life in St. A lot of reasons, I should say, because I was a minor seminarian then and at the same time a regular high school student. Now here is my story why our alma mater will always be in my heart. In behalf of the Priests and Lay Alumni of St. Augustine School SAS for being a great part of our religious formation.

Ours is a unique experience and situation during our formation years. The SAS minor seminary was the only one of its kind in our country allowing its seminarians to attend their academic classes outside its premises. While we attended our Latin, music and theology classes inside the seminary under the tutelage of priests who were then managing SAMS.

Inside SAMS, we developed a different kind of friendship and camaraderie among fellow seminarians. We sung together, we prayed together, we praised God together and we even cried and laughed together because we lived in one house.

Our bond of friendship transcended into a higher level of brotherhood. And for four years, we have developed that kind of relationship. Friendships developed not only among us seminarians but also among students at SAS. We became one family then, and as it was, our life was not always smooth sailing.

There arose also some disagreements among our seminary rector and the school principal regarding conflicts involving seminarians and students over petty issues like rivalry on crushes Magkaribalrivalry in class standing Pagalinganand rivalry in sports competition Gulangan sa basketball that at times resulted to brawls and misunderstandings.

But at the end of each day, more lessons have been learned and more bonds of friendship have been formed and strengthened. Even up to now, I still recall the happy memories of spending the night together with our crushes during our Junior and Seniors Prom. Aside from this, my memories on scouts camping, school intramurals and field demonstrations, field trips, and provincial meets are still very vivid up to now. I also remember how our mentors exerted much of their efforts to review all of us, senior students to be ready for the annual National College Entrance Examination.

And who will forget our excitement as we waited for our graduation day. Each passing day that we practiced our formation to the tune of the graduation march song was a real joy and gladness for all of us. And finally, as I remember our graduation ball, many heart-warming memories are relived. But most of all, SAS has formed our morals at the same time it also strengthened our faith all the more. Some of us became priests while others followed a different path.

Now as we come closer to go back once again to our alma mater and meet our school mates again, we feel overwhelmed and indebted forever to St. I know I can never bring those days again but for sure the memories instilled in my hearts and minds shall always linger forever.

Una, maliban sa talbos ng kamote, bagok lang ang kaya naming bilhin. Iisipin ko pa lang, mas nahihilo ako sa gagastusing pamasahe kesa sa pagsakay sa Victory bus.

Malayo ang Panan sa Iba sabi ko sa lola mama kong nagalaga sa akin kaya mas pipiliin ko na lang magaral sa barangay high school.

Hayaan mo na lang, igagapang ka ng maliit nating tindahan. Ganyan ba ang turo nila? Natutunan ko lang yan sa pagbabasa ng nakasulat sa sachet ng shampoo at pagbabasa ng newspaper. Ang unang araw ko ay nabalutan ng maliit na pagtingin sa sarili. Ang uniform ko ay pinaglumaan ng uncle kong 4th year sa parehong paaralan. May bonus pang punit sa may kwelyo.

Ang sapatos ko ay pudpod at may nakabaong thumb tack na mahirap tanggalin. Ngunit masaya ako dahil bago lahat ng aklat ko na wala sa pampublikong paaralan. First year na ako. At kasama ng pagputol sa dulong balat ko ay ang pagputol sa mga hindi magagandang nakagawian ko, alam kong huhubugin ako ng institusyong kinabibilangan ko.

Naiinggit ako sa uncle kong magaling magdasal. Kasalanan ko dahil ang alam ko ay bersiyong Aba Ginoong Maria. Ang pagdarasal sa wikang Ingles ang unang naging proud ako bilang Augusteener at higit sa lahat, ang sabayang pagbigkas nito papuntang langit.

Dito binuklod ang pinagsama samang pananampalatayang walang bahid malisya. Dito pa lang magsisimula ang kwento ko. Hindi ko sasabihing pinakamagaling ang batch namin at lalong malayo naman sa pinakamahina. Madami lang sa amin ang hindi competitive. Kung ang karamihan ay umaani ng medalya, kami ay umaani ng sermon. Kung ang karamihan ay nanliligaw na, kami ay naglilimahid ang leeg kalalaro. Iba iba ang grupo namin. Pero iisa ang hulma ng aming patutunguhan bilang mga anak ng Diyos na naglalakbay, nabubuwal, bumabangon at patuloy na naglalakad.

May grupo ng pasosyal na mga purdoy na ngayon. May mga grupo ng mahihirap at ngayon ay tumutulong na sa mga dating mapepera. May mga feeling magaganda at gwapo at nangangamoy ang mga kilikili dati at ngayon ay number one marketing specialist ahente kung medyo mahirap ng mga pampaputi ng kilikili. May mga heartthrobs dating mga tinitilian pero ngayon ay siya ng mga tumitili. May mga ugly ducklings pero mga beautiful swans na ngayon at iyong mga iba naging adult ducks lang.

May mga siga noon pero nakapalda na ngayon. May mga laging infatuated dati at ngayon ay nagsisilbi sa Panginoon at naging matapat na mangingibig. May mga manang manang dati pero sunod sunod ang mga anak ngayon. Sila lang ang makapagsasabi ngayon kung sino sila sa mga nabanggit ko.

Kawing kawing ang bawat araw na inilagi na min sa ating paaralan. Madalas nga paglipas ng panahon, nagkakaroon na ng direktang koneksiyon ang bawat isa. Iyong iba na lalaman nila. Iyong iba, hindi nila namamal ayan. Iyong iba, patuloy na i sinabuhay kung ano ang natutu nan nila sa paaralan. At iyong iba, ibang landas ang piniling lakbayin. Hindi naman sagradong maitutur ing ang paaralang ito.

Hindi rin kabanalan ang mahabang litanya at dasaling itinuro dito. Wala rin katunayan na ang mga magaaral na nagkasala ay hindi na muling makakabalik sa mga bisig ng Diyos. Malamang hindi na ako makikilala ng aking mga naging guro.

Lalo na at hindi naman ako nag excel sa anumang bagay maliban siguro sa magbigay ng mga nakakatawang palayaw ng mga kaklase ko, i-impersonate ng palihim ang ibang teachers, magdala ng makapal na encyclopedia at kunyaring binabasa para kunyari mukhang matalino, pisain ang pimples, magdrawing ng bundok na may bahay sa tuktok, mag lead ng prayer, madalas nasa last part na lagyan ng bunot ang mga bag ng classmates ko, gumawa ng mga kwento at tula na ako lang ang nagbabasa, kumain sa karinderya na sabaw ang ulam, mainggit sa magagandang damit ng mga kaklase ko at mang agaw ng crush ng iba para masabing binata na rin ako at maglaro ng volleyball hanggang ma-office ako dahil natamaan ang balakang ni sister dahil kinailangan niyang gumastos ng manghihilot.

Ngunit higit sa mga nakakatawa at nakakatuwang mga bagay at alaala, may natutunan ako sa naging buhay ko sa SAS na hindi ko makakalimutan. Sa kabila ng pagkaagnas ng kwelyo ko, napalitan rin iyon ng bago. Hindi habang buhay ay nakasadlak ang isang buhay sa putik. Dahil sa tiyaga at pananampalataya, nagkakaroon ng tunay na langit. Kung dati, ni rerecite ko lang ang rosary kasama ng mga ka klase ko, ngayon ito ay sumisimbolo sa isang paikot na daan na ng mga marubdob ang mga puso at pananampalataya.

Na ang lahat ay nagsimula sa Diyos at sa Diyos din babalik. Sa ngayon, hindi ko alam kung may lihim na nanlait sa kwelyo kong punit o may nagtangkang nagtanong kung naiintindihan ko ba talaga ang mga dasal ko.

Siya nga pala, mahirap pa rin ako. Hindi rin ako tumalino. Hindi rin ako naging heartthrob. Pero dahil sa SAS, nalaman kong kaya hindi daw natin naririnig ang Diyos ay sa kadahilanang maingay tayo. What sets them apart from other educators is that a Paulinian school is not just a system or an edifice — it is a place where every student is important because each St. Paul Sister knows her student personally. To a Paulinian student, the fondest memories from school always include the personal attention and nurturing care received from a particular or several St.

We now joyfully realize that our good Lord has truly blessed her efforts and looks upon her with favor as we now see the fruits in our adult lives.

But the even greater joy we feel is that when we meet her again long after we have left school, she still remembers each one of us by name and our personal character! It is with great consolation to feel assured that if indeed our names are indelibly written in the palms of her hands, then she has been faithfully praying for us all these years!

Praise and thanks be to God for Sister Esperanza Fadera! On the negative side, President John F. Kennedy of the United States got assassinated. This was also the year I got enrolled in St. When this great school started, all it could offer was Kindergarten up to Grade 3. There was an expectation that the guys in Grade 3 were to continue up to Grade 6. At that time, high school was not within my mindset. Moving in to St. Paul of Chartres - with uniforms at that.

I was really awed by that transformation, and the uncertainties facing me as a pioneering student, was a cause for concern. I will be meeting new faces — both teachers and students alike. And I guess, in hindsight that was pretty tough for any young kid from out of town. When we started in Grade III, there were 15 of us — 5 boys and 10 girls.

By the time we finished Grade VI, our tribe increased to 22 - 7 boys and 15 girls. I had been asked what the impact of SAS on me was. Immediately, my answer was on the way I write. They have what they call the Paulinian way of writing.

This was really a big deal for me because my handwriting looks more like chicken scratches than any semblance of written communication.

Hell, I can pass for a doctor with my kind of handwriting. But after three years at St. Augustine, my handwriting improved massively, except that after five minutes, even I cannot read it anymore.

Let me give you a brief history in case you did not attend the briefing as you entered the halls of this august school. Who are the Sisters of St. The Sisters of St. Paul was founded inby Fr. Louis Chauvet, parish priest of Levesville-la-Chenard, a little village in the region of Beauce, some 80 kilometers southeast of Paris — not by the apostle St. This was the time of the French revolution and the guillotine.

He did this through education and this was made possible through the help of Marie Anne de Tilly; the first teacher of the school, Marie Michaeu, and the first superior Barbe Foucault. Since their first mission was education, and since this was the Renaissance period, it will only be natural that their style of writing will be Baroque. I find this rather amusing because the Cathedral of Chartres, which made them famous, is really Gothic in style — rather than Baroque.

The Sisters were later on given a house in the suburb of St. And so, the St. Paul of Chartres may refer to Msgr. Paul Godet, who is not a Saint. It can also refer to the apostle St. Paul because the Sisters of St. Paul lived their lives according to the gospel of St.

Paul is not from Chartres. It is considered one of the finest examples of the French High Gothic style. The current cathedral, most likely constructed between andis one of at least five which has occupied the site since the town became a bishopric in the 4th century.

What makes the cathedral special from an artistic viewpoint is its exceptional state of preservation. The majority of the original stained glass windows have survived and they are still intact, while its architecture has seen only minor changes since the early 13th century. The building s exterior is dominated by heavy flying buttresses which allowed the architects to increase the window size significantly, while two contrasting spires dominate the west end. As a result of these influences, the Paulinian writing style is very French of the old school.

I have vague memories of our teacher in Writing but I do remember the twirls she made when writing capital letters. To this very day, somehow I still manage to write that way. Our class though small in size, led to better socialization and we knew what everyone was doing. It seemed like a second family for me and it was fun just being with your classmates. You have to remember that there were only 15 of us.

In hindsight, I believe that the small class size made us more cooperative rather than competitive. We were helping each other rather than compete with each other. Still, there were natural geniuses who eventually stood out. I must admit, I was not one of them. Somehow I preferred goofing around than studying my lessons. The small library was a favourite hangout of mine. There, I read books - of places I dreamed of visiting one day, of people I would emulate, and of ideas that would mold my attitude.

I must have read more books that were not part of the curriculum than the recommended ones. I guess reading is another one of those impacts St. Augustine had on me. I was reading any book I could lay my hands on. Reading was a big pleasure for me because my imagination soared without any boundaries.

I am still convinced that reading presents a more vivid picture than, let us say — listening to audio books or watching DVDs. I have always remembered them despite not getting the chance to thank them for their kindness.

In this age of the internet, I hope we do not lose that pleasure of reading. The annual field demonstrations as well as the drama productions were big events that were considered as major extracurricular activities.

These were big production numbers and they involved wholesale practise on a daily basis. If somebody has to be credited for this major production, credit will certainly go to Ms. It could have been our fear of her that motivated us to synchronize our moves. Drama was likewise a big deal for us because the Paulinian Sisters somehow were heavily influenced by Fr. As I have mentioned earlier, we had a small class and therefore, all of us were involved in these activities, no exceptions.

The only question was — who was going to get the lead role? I somehow, and with some unabashed bragging rights, was regularly chosen to play some lead roles. I was a matador in a bullfighting field demonstration. I was also a lead actor in one stage play which seemed to me like a horror drama.

Our formative years did not end up being thespians. We also developed our vocal cords as we formed the first glee club of the school.

Somehow, while Gregorian chants may sound sublime from the choir attic of the Iba Basilica, I prefer our version of the Sound of Music at the meeting place of the Knights of Columbus, to the enjoyment of our parents and relatives and friends. I never realized we will sound so cool. I do believe that this is not only true to me but also to all the pioneers of St.

And while I did not attend high school at SAS, my heart belongs to this school where I had so much fun and great time. The Augusteener December 27 www. Garcia of Iba, Zambales. Considers himself a Zambaleno as he grew up at Iba, Zambales where his parents made home. A consistent honor student from his grade school, he graduated salutatorian from high school — winning several awards, notably the Leadership Award and the Gerry Roxas Scholarship Award, among others.

He represented his school in oratorical competitions and won province wide. Entered the UST for convenience principally — the school being nearest home. At the insistence of his family he enrolled in a Pre-Med course. An inkling perhaps as to his choice of career was that he managed to get himself a commission as a cadet officer of the UST ROTC — while pursuing his pre-med course — the only science student at that time who was a cadet officer.

Took an entrance examination for the PMA at the first opportunity and passed it — at the same time that he passed his pre-med course and met all school pre-requisites for admission to the UST School of Medicine. He chose to enter the Academy instead. His entire family father, mother, sisters and only brother was opposed to the idea.

As a firstie, he represented the Academy in various track and field competitions and oratorical contests participated in by the Academy. He was Corp Executive Officer when he graduated and was among the upper third of his class in scholastic standing.

And like his classmates who were assigned in the Constabulary he drew the Constabulary when his class drew lots for service assignments. Reassigned to Recom 1, he, together with two other officer classmates under two of the training of new PC enlistees of Recom 1 — abbreviated ranger course — which men later on composed the Special Action Company of Recom 1 and to which company he was later on assigned a junior officer.

In one of his patrols, instinct and probably good luck saved him and his troops from a possible ambush by subversive terrorists at one hinderland village. Passing through said village, he refused an invitation to take supper and stay overnight there at — and even light refreshments and a little rest. He decided to push on through and camped instead for the night in the foothills outside of and overlooking the village. Later intelligence disclosed that at the same time that the villagers were enticing them to spend some time within the village an enemy group was at the outskirts of the village and which group could have inflicted heavy casualties of his patrol — had the enemy group been able to position themselves by the hanging bridge on the route his patrol took on the way out of the village.

The Augusteener December 35 www. He was deeply affected by the poverty and misery of the poor people of the hinderlands. He gave away his personal medicines he brought for his own use, to seek villagers.

Perhaps even at the outset he was never meant to be a doctor of medicine — for had he not chosen the military as a career — he could have been a priest. From his boyhood, he has manifested a special closeness to the church. Whenever he was at Iba he never failed to serve mass and visit the parish priest, the Bishop of Zambales and the sisters of St.

He could have been a good priest too. It is likely, that his choice of the military as a carrier was influenced by his exposure to military life during his youth and early formative years. He spent his school vacations in PC camps and stations where his father was assigned and was thus exposed to the company of soldiers and young lieutenants. He could have been a good lawyer and a successful politician as he was articulate and friendly to everyone and exhibited no airs.

According to one of his foster mothers — he had a way of endearing himself with people. He had several foster parents who adopted him and whom he adopted. He had three at Baguio City, one at Lingayen, Pangasinan, and even one as far as Tacloban City who acquired during his tour in the south as a cadet.

He was foremost of all — thoughtful. On the fateful day 13 Mayhe was, together with his ranger team on board a Land Rover about meters behind a lead vehicle on the way to Bontoc from Besao when they were ambushed at Sitio Banga-an, Sagada, Mountain Province by subversive terrorists on or about hours.

The lead vehicle was fired upon by the enemy hitting and wounding one officer and the driver of the vehicle — and thus immobilizing the vehicle. He had his team detrack, maneuvered his troops, returned the enemy fire, clear the area of the enemy and extricated the troops that were pinned down by enemy fire. He then made available his vehicle and driver to evacuate the wounded officer and driver to Bontoc; and personally operated the immobilized lead vehicle and maneuvered same from where it was ditched onto the road.

With him at the wheels, he had his troops and others board the vehicle and continued and proceeded with their interrupted trip to Bontoc. Met on the way by the Actg Provincial Commander of Mt. Province who came from Bontoc with reinforcements, they returned to the ambush site as ordered. For the second time that fateful afternoon, he and his troops once more scoured and searched the area for the enemy. It turned out the enemy had returned to the area and a firefight ensued.

Dusk was sitting in, and unmindful of his personal safety he aggressively maneuvered and redeployed his troops and continuously directed the movements of his men forward by voice and hand signals — moving ahead of the other elements with them, to dislodge the enemy from their entrenched position thereby exposing himself to enemy fire and leading by example until he was felled by an enemy shot on the forehead: A senior officer of his commented that with that fatal shot the enemy killed a potential general.

His body was flown home, by helicopter, to his parents at Iba, Zambales arriving before noon at the Iba Airstrip 15 May where he was met by his parents, relatives and other town mates. He was buried at high noon on 17 May His funeral mass was concelebrated by seven priests. Bob was awarded the Gold Cross Medal Posthumous for gallantry in action, and which medal was presented to his father in appropriate ceremonies at Camp Crame, Quezon City on 8 August We were always looking for a way to have fun.

We frequently found every small reason to be together. We were freshmen during the declaration of Martial law, too young to be really worried about late parties and stay-ins then. We had our own home curfewsso midnight curfews did not really bother us. We were sophomores when the SAS minor seminary opened. We had 5 minor seminarians to start with in our class.

It was an adjustment for all of us. We had young boys who were away from their families. They came from all over Zambales. We learned mutually immediately how to make good friends, especially we had more boys added to our class. I am proud to be a graduate of SAS. I have spent 10 years of my life in its walls.

It has slowly and gradually molded us morally and religiously. We were such a small school then and the nuns and priests around us have definitely affected our lives. SAS has given me the chance to learn and live my faith up to this day. Back then, we took everything for granted somehow, not realizing how it would affect us now.

I do greatly commend our mentors for emphasizing the use of written and spoken English in the campus. All of these little things that have gladly paid off now as adults. Each class change always started and ended with a prayer. Sometimes it would be hard to stay serious when the then Sr. It was precious to recall the presence of Msgr. Byrne sitting at the particular spot at the church. We would go and visit and be blessed.

Whoever he remembers to be mischievous would get a knock on the forehead with his ring. We competed against boys and girls. If it was the game is not finished through the break, rest assured we will continue the competition until the next break.

Most of us would rather get punished than reveal the truth. This is how you find out who likes who and all the teasing during and out of the classes would start. We played on the few concrete benches by the bougainvillea bushes.

Chalks were not used but we used folded up bougainvillea leaves to scroll on concrete. The version of eco-friendly during that time. After storms, we would convince the teachers to take a long walk to the beach, just to be able to collect sea shells but really mostly to get out of the campus with their consent.

Adolescence would not be normal without peer pressure. It was a positive influence in our class. We had a lot of musically talented classmates and the guitar was at the center of it all.

Most of us looked forward to the glee club and enjoyed the class musical competitions particularly the one under the supervision of Mr. We had a lot of talented classmates. In our younger years, we loved competing against the upper classmen. We competed in oratorical contest,spelling, singing, dancing and sports.

Whether we won or not, it was always fun rooting for our class. We loved our mentors as manifested in the fact that we still keep in touch with them. As you prayed, I joined you and asked God to help me. Praise the Lord, at that very moment I got healed!

Now your radio program has become a part of my life. Mike to continue with his radio program. He read her letter on the air and, soon, letters from other listeners giving their testimonies on miracles they received from God, and some were asking for prayer and counseling flooded his office.

To deepen his commitment to the Lord, he issued a memorandum instructing the treasurer of his real estate company to set aside ten percent of every sale and collection as tithe for the support of the work for the Lord through DWXI Radio Station.

Miraculously, after this, offers were made on his foreclosed real estate properties, with the banks allowing him to sell these on his own terms and repay his loans out of the proceeds. Soon, his loans had been settled and some of his foreclosed properties were recovered. After sometime, people from all walks of life were trooping to his office asking for prayer for the healing of their ailments and counseling for their financial and spiritual problems. At first, we thought Aquino would give his arrival statement there.

Manila-based journalists working with foreign news organizations were mixed with opposition leaders and Aquino family members, whom we hardly knew during those days because they did not involve themselves in politics and, ergo, were low key. I personally felt that the Aquino homecoming would be different from previous events that I covered and chronicled at the airport, when I saw an inordinate number of fully-armed soldiers deployed in the airport terminal building.

No one among the journalists, opposition leaders, and Aquino family members were allowed to go out of the holding room the very moment we entered into it. We were completely locked in that room; we were sequestered there.

We did not know anything that had happened outside the holding room. I saw the stern-looking Col. Vicente Tigas, a ranking official of Gen. Journalists of the crony newspapers were assigned in a different area, but because they knew the airport terrain, they went to the area where they could see the China Air Lines plane that brought in Aquino. I was just a few meters away when Ken Kashiwahara of U. Then, the Aquinos, Tanada, Arroyo, and others broke into tears.

Luther Custodio, took Aquino from his seat. Kashiwahara was our first source of information. Kashiwahara traveled to Manila to accompany Ninoy Aquino. His wife, Lupita, earlier arrived in Manila to prepare the homecoming.

Other journalists in the China Air Lines flight included Sandra Burton of Time magazine, Max Vanzi of United Press International, and the controversial Kiyoshi Wakamiya, a freelance Japanese journalist, who earlier said he saw a soldier shot Aquino but later recanted it.

I called up various sources — opposition leaders, defense and military officials, Malacanang, and fellow working journalists it was customary for us to share information — for updates. At that point, Marcos had firmed up the theory that Aquino was killed by an alleged communist hit man.

By nightfall, more details trickled in. Aquino was brought by his military escorts to the Army Hospital in Fort Bonifacio. Among the details I got: By late evening, I had an idea that Aquino was a victim of a military rubout, a conspiracy of the lowest kind.

I consulted my media colleagues by telephone and the emerging consensus was that a military plot to kill him was implemented the moment he arrived in Manila. By midnight, I felt the extreme exhaustion of our coverage. It was a long day indeed. Suddenly, I felt tears started rolling down my cheeks. I am a journalist trained to take distance from my coverage. But I am also a Filipino, who felt indignant at the way they killed Aquino. It was most repugnant for me to see a patriot being murdered in broad daylight.

My Japanese boss saw how I felt. He did not say a word, although I felt he sympathized with me. He allowed some minutes for me to compose myself out of respect for my feeling. By 8 am the next day, I was in the office for another day of grinding, hard work. In the Philippines, hundreds of thousands of people lined the streets of Manila on August 31 for the funeral of opposition leader Benigno Aquino, who was murdered when he arrived home from self-exile ten days earlier.

Crowds carrying anti-government placards followed the coffin in a procession which stretched for nearly four kilometres two miles. Police deliberately kept a low profile, although riot squads were said to be on standby. No incidents were reported, despite the number of mourners who escorted the garlanded coffin, borne on a ten-wheel truck, along its 27 kilometre mile route to a cemetery south of the capital, Manila.

The crowds were so dense that the journey lasted for nearly twelve hours. About one thousand people attended the affair and experienced the miracle-working power of God! Encouraged by the success of the rally, Bro. Some time later, as more people came to be led back to the Lord Jesus Christ, the rally was held weekly. Mike at Amorsolo St. After a while, Bro. Mike decided to air his program three times a week and began thinking of a new title and theme song for it.

He made a study of the meaning of the term and discovered that it was one of the seven Covenant Names, by which God the Father revealed Himself to Israel. At this point, he realized that God wanted His Holy and Almighty Name to be proclaimed and made known throughout the world.

Some prayer- partners even volunteered to serve without compensation. Inspired by the outcome of events, Bro. Mike thought it was time to formally organize the community. It was organized, primarily, as an institution where Bro. Mike could channel his tithes and donations derived from his real estate business and other companies to support the religious activities of various Catholic charismatic groups and some projects of charitable organizations. These however were not enough to support the expenses of the newly-founded charismatic community, especially the radio programs of DWXI and the Mass and Healing Rallies.

And so, he had to continue shelling out funds from his own personal earnings. For him, though, it was a great enough blessing from El Shaddai that his radio listeners came to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour and were receiving answers to their prayer-requests.

Inthe first overseas chapter of the Foundation was established in Hong Kong. It started when Bro. Joseph Church on May After the meeting, a group of seven Filipino prayer-partners working there and who were at the affair bonded together and held their initial prayer-meeting at the Jones Health Club, a gym formerly owned by Bro. Tessie Wong at North Point, drawing thirty persons. On August 7, the group invited Bro. Mike, together with Rev. An estimated people attended the affair. These were formed by Filipino prayer-partners working abroad, who were motivated by the desire to bear witness to the love and goodness of El Shaddai.

On that occasion, Bishop Bacani was beside Bro. Mike, not to defend him, but to bear witness to what God was doing through the Foundation. The result of the meeting was satisfactory because most of the questions asked were clearly and humbly answered by Bro.

This event paved the way for the recognition of the chapters of the Foundation by several dioceses and parishes of the Roman Catholic Church. It also initiated the launching of its Back-to-the-Parish program. As you read on, you will discover how the Foundation has grown dramatically through the years. Mike Velarde as speaker. On the second quarter ofthe Foundation held Catholic Life-in-the-Spirit Seminars and fellowships in the following places: Following this, even more people attended the succeeding seminars, so they had to be conducted in three shifts until the FAT itself could no longer hold the crowds.

Despite allegations of fraud on the KBL side, her candidates won 56 seats out of In November, Marcos underwent a second renal transplant. Rumors of Marcos dying and Ver taking over were rife. Enrile began to admit publicly that he would like to be president in the future, when Marcos was no longer interested.

February — Ver et al stood trial before the Sandigan Bayan for the Aquino assassination. In his speech to the graduating class the next day, Ramos confirmed the need for reforms and proposed sweeping changes to strengthen the demoralized military in the face of a mounting Communist insurgency. Brown concluded that one of the few promising developments was the emergence of the RAM, a group that the Pentagon and CIA happened to be quietly encouraging.

October — In Washington D. Lansdale discussed 2 questions: A week later, Cory agreed to run if 1 Marcos called snap elections, and 2 if the CAPM gathered the promised million signatures. November 3 Marcos declared on American television that he would run in snap presidential polls three months hence.

November 19, the Batasan Pambansa set February 7 as the date for the snap polls. November 30, Cory was presented with more than a million signatures drafting her as presidential contender. December 2 Ver et al were acquitted by the Sandigan Bayan of complicity in the Aquino assassination. December 23, the Communist Party of the Philippines sounded the call to boycott the snap elections. Meanwhile, in separate meetings, key officers sketched Cory Aquino and Fidel Ramos their coup plans.

The reformist military tried, and failed, to convince Cory that she had no chance of winning at the polls. February 4 A member bi-partisan delegation of US senators, congressmen, and private citizens arrived in Manila to monitor the elections. At least five banks, known to have ties with the Marcos regime, experienced a run.

February 7 Election Day. Broadcast alerts over Radio Veritas urged volunteers into troubled areas to stop ballot boxes from being stolen or tampered with. She vowed massive protests and daily street demonstrations if cheated. February 9 Led by Linda Kapunan, thirty computer technicians manning the COMELEC tabulation machines walked out of their posts in protest over alleged deliberate changing of election results.

A multinational team of observers cited cases of vote-buying, intimidation, snatching of ballot boxes, tampered election returns, and the disenfranchisement of thousands of voters, specially in Metro Manila, by the ruling party.

February 10 Defense Minister Enrile warned of greater political instability. February 11 Laban leader Evelio Javier, former governor of Antique, was gunned down in broad daylight. The Batasan Pambansa formally began the canvass of election returns. February 13, President Marcos took a virtually irreversible lead over opposition candidate Corazon C. Statistical improbabilities were also cited. February 15, The Batasan Pambansa formally proclaimed Marcos winner of the February 7 elections; all 50 opposition Members of Parliament walked out in protest.

Trade Minister Roberto Ongpin, speaking for the economic technocrats, assured Marcos of support if he undertook reforms in military, political, and economic areas; Marcos signed an agreement to the effect. Philip Habib arrived in Manila. Ramos would serve as Chief of Staff. Habib met with Marcos, then with Cory. She announced that she would go around the country to sound her call for civil disobedience and non-violent protest actions; her first stops, Cebu and Davao, the coming weekend.

Habib also met privately with Ramos and Enrile over the next few days. Crony banks, corporations, and media were hit hard by the boycott. San Miguel-A shares went down to as low as P Not far behind in financial fiasco was the beverage industry.

Beer quaffers had suddenly shifted to gin or hard drinks. A small number also stopped drinking Pepsi Cola, Seven-Up and Mirinda, thinking that these softdrinks were also under the control of a crony. February 18, The peso fell to P Irwin Ver placed the Presidential Security Command on red alert. Secretary of State Paul H. RAM set the coup for Sunday, February 23, at 2: Almonte detailed the plans to Gen.

Enrile received information that Ver had ordered his men to prepare for a series of arrests; he wrote a letter of resignation which he said he would deliver to Malacanang the following Monday. Aquino said she would fly to Cebu as scheduled Saturday morning to pursue her civil disobedience campaign.

The five were putting final touches to a speech Enrile planned to read 36 hours later over national radio and television. Enrile would proclaim himself head of a ruling junta, the National Reconciliation Council, just after rebel troops assaulted the Palace at 2: Eduardo Kapunan and Col. Victor Batac, were the masterminds of the attack plans. Veritas Special Edition Oct 86 Unknown to Honasan, one of his moles in Malacanang Palace had been leaking top-secret details of the coup plot to the Vers.

In January, Honasan had pressured an officer on the staff of the Presidential Security command into acting as an agent within the Palace. Irwin Ver, who immediately passed on the astonishing information to his father, the general. The Vers turned the jittery Doromal into a double agent, and he channeled accurate, up-to-date information to them. The Palace was the responsibility of Col. Lieutenant Colonel Rexor Ver headed the Presidential Security Unit of men, whose primary mission was to provide close-in security to the First Family.

The Pasig River from its mouth at Manila Bay to Guadalupe, about 2 kilometers from the Palace, was secured by a Philippine Navy unit composed of 6 patrol crafts, 2 frigates, a demolition team, and ferry boats.

This mobile unit of men took care of choke points at the Ayala-Lozano approach, the Sta. The unit was also assigned to provide the palace with in-depth defense. All in all they had 3, fully armed officers and men. Acting on orders from Marcos, who was in command, Ver announced to his generals that he would let Col. Ver was turning the palace into a death trap. In a garishly theatrical touch, the river was to be lit up with spotlights as Honasan and his men crossed in their boats.

Alamos Alabe, a graduate of the Philippine Military Academny and detailed with the Linsi Security Agency, managed to talk his way out of Fort Bonifacio, claiming he was not a member of the military. The would-be rebels stared blankly.

Veritas Special Oct 86 Honasan and Kapunan had left the meeting earlier to make a final reconnaissance of the approaches to the Palace. By dawn, it was clear that they had been betrayed. We planned the whole action mainly under two offices: His closest aides and the chief of his security, Sonny Razon, were members of our core group; they kept the general informed of meetings and developments.

News and Announcements

Marcos assured Ongpin that he would investigate the matter. Marcos offered the services of some of his security from the Presidential Security Command but Ongpin vigorously objected. Rolando Abadilla tried to talk Honasan out of doing anything rash. As soon as Abadilla left, at about 10 a. They weighed what they had seen on their late-night drive and discussed their options, then decided to freeze operations for twenty-four hours.

As he pored over some of the documents, two brief reports which came in at 7 A. The carpets were being shampooed and vacuumed, the shiny floors, made of rare Philippine hardwood, waxed and polished, and the huge chandeliers overhead, products of proud artisans from Guagua, Pampanga, dusted.

The marble floors were scrubbed till they shone like mirrors. Everywhere, the capiz windows were cleaned and then opened to admit fresh air. The entire Palace was left to bathe in natural sunlight. It was my aide, then Lt. Jose Honrado, who told me of the rumors of a coup for the weekend, and who recommended that I stay in Manila. On the other hand, Cebu was for certain. I had announced several days before that I would be in Cebu that Saturday in pursuance of the non-violent movement I had launched in February 16 at the Luneta.

Thousands of people were expecting us who I imagined would be terribly disappointed and probably not as eager to give me their support if I did not come. Rex Robles was assigned to act as liaison with the diplomatic community and to tell the world their story in case the reformists were arrested. Another reformist sent an urgent signal to a US Embassy official to seek help.

It might seem as if he was involved, or responsible. The Americans brought up the touchy subject of overstaying generals and insisted that Ver resign or retire. Or we can regroup and take a stand and take our chances. If we regroup, the possibility of an encounter is very high. But the possibility of a stand-off is not far-fetched.

They assured him they could handle the situation in the camp. If I die, I might as well die here. Business Day 28 Feb 86 Cory was receiving a warm welcome from the people of Cebu.

In some intersections, crowds became so excited that they literally blocked the road, thus creating momentary bottlenecks in the traffic flow. I had two important meetings scheduled that day. Lunch with Max Soliven at the house of Mrs. Betty Go Belmonte, and later in the afternoon, a dialogue with Cory supporters, mostly neighbors of mine who wanted to picket my house in Alabang. You will not get any answers.

Ramos explained why he had not chosen to resign despite the humiliations heaped on him by Mr. Marcos and rogue elements of his Philippine Constabulary who were involved in carnaps, murder, and other crimes.

He was accosted and brought to the aides-de-camp room for questioning. His men were in the process of grilling four officers…plotters of a plan to storm the palace and oust Marcos.

His illness demanded that. It was to his bedroom that the news of the Enrile-Ramos mutiny was brought. Marcos is finished, and we ought to offer him asylum in the United States.

Philippine Daily INQUIRER | Inquirer Lifestyle Series: misjon.infon with Samsung | Page 2

If people realized that Enrile had been planning to stage a coup and then impose a junta, most of them certainly would not have been supportive. Enrile and his men had to cover their plans and portray themselves as victims. That settled, Enrile went to his bedroom, changed into jeans and canvas shoes, and took an Uzi submachine gun out of the closet.

I had been waiting for the right moment. RAM recognized that while a significant number of officers and men were prepared to line up behind Enrile, his long political and personal association with Marcos had tainted him in the minds of many more.

Mount Polis | Revolvy

Malaya 23 Feb 86 She expanded the list of firms and establishments she had asked the people to boycott. He was already inside the car when he ran back to her to give instructions: I was in the Inquirer office as usual, putting our Sunday edition to bed, when we got this call, about 2: Enrile asked to talk to me and she said Johnny was going to be arrested.

Will you call the Cardinal for us? And we did try to call the Cardinal, but we were not successful because I think the Cardinal was out in Ateneo for an ordination. She sounded very nervous, and as I am very fond of Cristina, I wanted to be with her at that moment.

On my way out, I passed by the desk of Louie Beltran who was our editor then and I told him what was happening. Of course nobody knew why Johnny was going to be arrested, everybody just knew he was going to be arrested.

He then gave Cayetano instructions to call the press. Enrile began with troops. They look as if they are ready for war….